Deadline: 30 November 2011
Eligibility: This competition is open to all visual artists who are 18 years of age or older. All styles and media are eligible. During the previous competition, we received submissions from over 37 countries. (Note: Artists that have been exhibited, represented, or reviewed by the jurors are not eligible.)
3rd Semiannual Competition
Dave Bown Projects
The initiatives of the privately held U.S. company focus on advancing the field of contemporary art by engaging in scholarly research and distributing unrestricted monetary awards to visual artists.
$10,000 USD (1 artist will receive $5,000 and 5 artists will each receive $1,000).
The top 25 artists will each receive the most recent book by Richard Polsky
The Art Prophets: The Artists, Dealers, and Tastemakers Who Shook the Art World.
The top 25 artists will be selected by the jurors and featured under Competitions on this website. Each artist will have their own page that will feature an image, caption information, and a link to their website. You will retain the copyright to your images. We will not handle the sale of your work. All inquiries will be forwarded to you and/or your gallery.
Currently the Dave Bown Projects network reaches over 110,000 people who are committed to the visual arts. We will have an announcement sent via email to an aggregation of tens of thousands of subscribers (artists, collectors, curators, galleries, museums, writers). We will have a Share button on each page of this website so that you and everyone else will be able to share content with friends on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. Each of the artists from the previous competitions receives thousands of views on this website. We will produce a press release and organize opportunities for dialogue (e.g., interviews, lectures, screenings).
Note: Gallery owners have contacted artists from both the 1st and 2nd Semiannual Competitions.
Early entries are encouraged. Previewing will occur on a daily and weekly basis by Dave Bown Projects as submissions are received.
The jurors will only have access to the images of your work and a document that list a reference number, medium, and dimensions per image. We will change the file names of each of your images (e.g., c-3_0123_01.jpg) so that the jurors will not have access to your name, gender, ethnicity, or any other information.
Selection will be based on merit (your skills and abilities) so please submit images of your best work.
Art Fag City, New York
Author and Art Dealer
Guild Hall Museum, New York
Paddy Johnson is the founding editor of the blog Art Fag City and a regular columnist for The L Magazine. Her writing has been featured in New York Magazine, Time Out New York, and The Daily Beast. She regularly lectures on art at universities in the United States. In 2008, she became the first blogger to receive a grant from The Creative Capital Foundation. In 2010 she was nominated for a Rob Pruitt Art Award at The Guggenheim and her blog Art Fag City won best Art Blog at The Village Voice Web Awards. For further information, please visit artfagcity.com
Richard Polsky is the author of I Sold Andy Warhol (Too Soon), I Bought Andy Warhol, and The Art Market Guide (1995-1998). In 1984 he founded Acme Art, where he showed the work of such artists as Joseph Cornell, Ed Ruscha, Andy Warhol, and Bill Traylor. Since 1989 he has been a private art dealer specializing in works by postwar artists. He has been a contributor to The Art Economist and lives in Sausalito, California. For further information, please visit polskyart.com
Christina Mossaides Strassfield is the Museum Director and Chief Curator of Guild Hall Museum in East Hampton, New York. She has curated exhibitions of artists such as Roy Lichtenstein, Chuck Close, Eric Fischl, David Salle, Ross Bleckner, April Gornik, John Chamberlain, Larry Rivers, Cindy Sherman, Dan Flavin, Taryn Simon, Barbara Kruger, and Richard Prince. During her tenure she has transformed what was once a small sleepy museum into a vital destination for the visual arts which has been recognized by reviews in The New York Times, Art in America, Art News, New York Magazine, The New York Sun, Bloomberg News, and Newsday. For further information, please visit guildhall.org
30 November 2011, 11 p.m. EST
15 December 2011
A non-refundable entry fee is required with your submission. There are no additional fees.
4 images for $40
8 images for $60
12 images for $80
Please note the following options for payment of your entry fee:
* You can pay your entry fee using PayPal. You don’t need a PayPal account to use your credit or debit card to pay your entry fee using PayPal, simply click on one of the Pay Entry Fee buttons below. A new secure browser window will open up, which takes a few seconds depending on your internet connection speed. If you have a PayPal account, Send Money to email@example.com or 917-365-5265http://davebownprojects.com/submissions.html
* You can call us at (917) 365-5265 and we can securely process your credit or debit card. Or we can call you at your preferred time. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, phone number, time zone, and the best time to call (e.g., morning, afternoon, evening).
After you pay your entry fee, copy and paste your Receipt ID (e.g., 1782-5181-1974-4707) into the Subject line of a new email from you to email@example.com
Attach 4, 8, or 12 images of your work. JPEG format and no larger than 1 MB each.
Please name your files after the following manner:
FirstName_LastName_01.jpg ___ FirstName_LastName_02.jpg ___ FirstName_LastName_03.jpg ___ FirstName_LastName_04.jpg
FirstName_LastName_05.jpg ___ FirstName_LastName_06.jpg ___ FirstName_LastName_07.jpg ___ FirstName_LastName_08.jpg
FirstName_LastName_09.jpg ___ FirstName_LastName_10.jpg ___ FirstName_LastName_11.jpg ___ FirstName_LastName_12.jpg
Note: Video, web-based, and performance artists need to include a URL for each piece.
After you attach your images, copy and paste the caption information (title, year, medium, and dimensions) for each of your images into the body of the email and click send.
We look forward to viewing your work.
* Pay your Entry Fee.
* Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with 4, 8, or 12 images attached and the caption information in the body of the email.
* Tell your friends about this competition.
We will be happy to answer any questions you may have about your submission.
For further information, please contact Dave Bown at (917) 365-5265 or email@example.com
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile