Deadline: 15 October 2011
Eligibility: Entrants must be at least 18 years old. To qualify, entrants may previously have published
no more than two feature‐length articles on art in any regional or national newspaper, magazine, or online publication.
Art Practical, the online journal for visual arts criticism in the Bay Area, and the Asian Contemporary Arts Consortium San Francisco (ACAC‐SF) announce a new writing fellowship and invite entries for its inaugural year this fall.
While the Bay Area has a diverse and vibrant visual arts scene, there is little visibility for critical dialogue that contextualizes issues in Asian contemporary art. By providing a platform for emerging writers, the Asian Contemporary Arts Consortium Writing Fellowship (ACAC Fellow) aims to promote and encourage critical thinking and writing on Asian contemporary art practices and discourses, with a particular emphasis on the events and exhibitions in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Bay Area visual arts community positions itself within a global context; this fellowship will encourage the recipient to examine where the intersections lie between artists of Asian descent living and working in the Bay Area, those living and working internationally, and artists of non‐Asian descent living in Asia. Therefore, while priority will be given to exhibitions and events in the San Francisco Bay Area, the Fellow will not be restricted solely to coverage of this region. The winning entrant will be named the ACAC Fellow and will receive a $1,000 honorarium in support of his or her contributions as a writer for Art Practical. Over the course of a year, the ACAC Fellow will work under the direction of the magazine’s editorial team to contribute six reviews to Art Practical, with the potential to write a feature‐length article and to collaborate with Art Practical ’s partner
Bad at Sports on a podcast interview. Art Practical encourages emerging writers to refine their practice amidst those already renowned for their critical insight and provides valuable professional development through its rigorous editorial process.
Britta Erickson Independent curator and critic
Glen Helfand Independent curator, critic, educator, and contributing writer to Artforum
Hou Hanru Curator and Director of Exhibitions and Public Programs at the San Francisco Art Institute
Santhi Kavuri‐Bauer Associate Professor of Art History at San Francisco State University
Patricia Maloney Director of Art Practical
Entrants must submit the following materials in PDF format via email to email@example.com with the subject line “ACAC Fellowship Application”:
1) A letter of interest stating your motivation and interest in Asian contemporary art (approximately 500 words).
2) A resume with relevant experience, including a bibliography of relevant articles.
3) Two writing samples that reflect your writing skills and knowledge of contemporary art. These should each be a maximum of 500 words in length, with a preference for reviews; excerpts from longer texts will be accepted.
4) A list of two references, including names, titles, and contact information.
Please do not include additional materials other than those requested above.
The deadline is October 15, 2011. Late applications will not be considered.
Announcement of Finalists
Up to five finalists will be selected by the jurors and announced on November 1, 2011.
Special Edition of Shotgun Reviews from the Finalists
Published in Art Practical on November 17, 2011. Five finalists will be selected and each will be invited to write a 400‐word review on an exhibition of their choice relevant to contemporary Asian art. Finalists will work with the Art Practical editors in taking their articles from drafts to published texts.
Notification of the ACAC Fellow
November 18, 2011
The ACAC Fellow will be commissioned to extend his/ her 400‐word Shotgun Review to a full‐length review for publication in Art Practical on December 8, 2011.
ACAC Fellowship Time Period
November 20, 2011, to October 20, 2012 During this time period, the ACAC fellow will produce six full‐length reviews that focus on relevant topics for publication in Art Practical, with the potential to produce a feature‐length article and an interview in conjunction with the podcast Bad at Sports.
About Art Practical
Art Practical is an online magazine that enriches critical dialogue for the Bay Area visual arts by providing comprehensive analysis of events and exhibitions. Since its launch in October 2009, we have worked with a network of partners to promote the Bay Area’s role in the international art scene, to create a historical record of contemporary artistic practices, and to foster artistic production through critical writing and public programming. Art Practical is emblematic of the collective and collaborative spirit of the wide‐ranging Bay Area visual arts culture, which combines a long local history of incubating experimentation and innovation with international perspectives.
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile