Deadline: October 31, 2011
Open to: worldwide to all visitors of CGarchitect.com (it’s free to register).
CGarchitect.com and Autodesk are seeking for heroes! Not any kind of heroes, but 3ds Max designers with big creativity and imagination.
Autodesk is looking for inventive concepts or renderings of architectural design, mechanical or industrial/product designs like buildings, bridges, vehicles, furniture, and consumer products. Entries will be judged on imagination, innovation, and ingenious use of the max logo, not production quality. Winners will have the opportunity to work with the Autodesk production team to complete final production renderings.
To participate, you must submit a scene or design created with Autodesk 3ds Max 2012 software or Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2012 software. If you do not currently own 3ds Max 2012 or 3ds Max Design 2012 software, you can download the free 30-day trial. Students can download 3ds Max Design 2011 from the Autodesk Education Community.
The context of the scene should be design-centric, for example: buildings, bridges, cities, vehicles, consumer products, machines, furniture, building products, landscapes, etc. (no monsters or aliens or please!).
Still images must be a minimum of 3,000 pixels in the smallest dimension. The production quality of your submission can range from an un-rendered wireframe to a photorealistic rendering. Competitors may submit up to five different submissions.
Official Contest Rules
This contest (“Contest”) is operated by CGarchitect Digital Media Corp (“cgarchitect.com”) and sponsored by those businesses (“Sponsors”) found on our sponsor page, which currently includes Autodesk, Inc., BOXX Technologies, Inc. and NVIDIA Corporation.
In order to enter this Contest, you must submit designs through cgarchitect.com and use the Sponsors’ products (available for free trial downloand through cgarchitect.com); this means you must sign up with cgarchitect.com (no purchase necessary). For every design submitted, you will receive an entry into the Contest. You are limited to a maximum of five (5) entries. Valid design entries will be collected for the specified period of the Contest. Once the Contest ends, an independent panel of judges selected by the cgarchitect.com and Sponsors will decide the winning design entries. The decisions of these judges are final and not appealable in any fashion.
By entering the Contest, you warrant to cgarchitect.com and Sponsors that:
- You meet all eligibility requirements of the Contest; AND
- Your are complying with all applicable statutes, regulations, and other laws; AND;
- Any designs you submit are your own original work and do not infringe upon the intellectual property rights of other parties. Any entry found to be plagiarized or that is proved to be an infringing work will be automatically disqualified and may subject you to criminal and civil liabilities from cgarchitect.com, Sponsors, and the party whose work you infringed.
There is no cost to participate in the Contest. No purchase is necessary.
By entering the Contest, you agree to the following judging criteria:
- Judging will be performed by a panel of expert judges selected by cgarchitect.com and Autodesk, Inc. There will be 2 rounds of judging.
- The first round of judging will be performed through an online voting system where each entry is scored on the originality of concept and use of the 3ds Max logo and design sensibility.
- The final round of judging will be performed by all judges in person or via a web conference. The top ten scoring images from the first round will be further evaluated and discussed by the judges based on the same criteria from the first round with the addition of also meeting Autodesk image criteria.
- From the final round of judging, a grand prize winner and two runners up will be selected based upon a majority consensus of the judges. The decisions of these judges are final and not appealable in any fashion.
Use of Entries and Participant Information:
To the maximum extent permitted by law, by entering the Contest, you agree to the following:
- All designs, regardless of whether they are winning designs, become the property of Autodesk, Inc. and may be used for any purpose without a participant’s permission or any consideration apart from participation in the Contest in accordance with these official rules.
- Each participant consents to the use by cgarchitect.com, Sponsors, or any third party chosen by cgarchitect.com or Sponsors, of any and all entry information related to the Contest, including any personal information obtained through the Contest, for advertising, marketing or other purposes. All such information becomes the property of cgarchitect.com and Sponsors and will not be returned.
- By accepting a prize, a winner consents to publication in any media form of such winner’s full name, address, voice, photograph, biographical material, and likeness by cgarchitect.com, Sponsors, or any third party chosen by Sponsors, on any winner list, advertising, marketing, and other materials without additional compensation or notice. Other than as set forth herein, cgarchitect.com and Sponsors will treat any personal information supplied by participants according to their respective privacy policies.
This Contest will begin on September 9, 2011 and will end no later than 12:00am midnight on, October 31, 2011. Winners will be announced on November 8, 2011.
The prizes awarded for this Contest are:
Grand Prize – (1) 3DBOXX 8550 XTREME Workstation plus $5,000 USD upon delivery of the final approved image to Autodesk.
Runner-up Prizes – (1) NVIDIA® Quadro® 5000
The prizes are not redeemable for cash. Prizes are not transferable and no substitutions are allowed except by cgarchitect.com and Sponsors, who reserve the right to award a prize of equal or greater value if the advertised prize is unavailable. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded. All taxes, duties, and other expenses related to shipment related to any prize are the responsibility of the prize winners.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, by entering the Contest, you agree to release and hold harmless cgarchitect.com, Sponsors, prize manufacturers, and their related companies and representatives from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind in connection with or resulting from participation in this Contest and/or acceptance, possession, or use of any prize(s) including, without limitation, intellectual property infringement, lost or incomplete entries, personal injuries, death, property damages and any claims by third parties or otherwise based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. You acknowledge that cgarchitect.com and Sponsors have no liability for nor make any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, with regards to any prizes. You agree to pay for any damages, losses, liabilities, costs, penalties, and expenses, including without limitation attorneys’ and experts’ fees and costs, incurred in connection with any claims brought against cgarchitect.com or Sponsors in connection with your participation in the Contest.
Limitation of Liability:
PRIZES WILL BE AWARDS “AS IS.” NEITHER CGARCHITECT.COM NOR SPONSORS MAKES AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, REGARDING ANY PRIZE OR PORTION THEREOF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED OR STATUTORY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.
Any dispute that may arise hereunder shall be brought solely in the appropriate provincial or federal court sitting in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and participants consent to the personal jurisdiction and venue of such court.
This Contest is open to only registered members of cgarchitect.com. This Contest is subject to all federal, provincial, state and local laws and regulations where you reside and is void if prohibited by your local laws or regulations. Participants from countries that are currently on any embargo lists from the United States or Canada are considered automatically disqualified and any entries from such participants will be rejected. Participants agree to abide by the terms of these official rules and by the decisions of cgarchitect.com and Sponsors which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. cgarchitect.com reserves the right to disqualify any participant that it determines, in its sole discretion, is ineligible to participate in this Contest.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most of this information can be found in the official competition rules, however we have compiled some of the most frequently asked questions about the competition here for easy reference. Please be sure you do read the rules carefully before submitting to avoid having your entry disqualified.
Q. Do I need to include the 3ds Max logo model into my submission?
A: Yes, above all this competition is to find an image that will be used on the 3ds Max Design box and the splash screen, so the scene needs to use the 3ds Max logo in a unique and innovative way. For examples of how the logo has been used in the past, be sure to check out the home page of the competition website. The images at the top of the screen should give you some ideas. Be creative, think outside of the box, and design something innovative.
Q. Can I use V-Ray, Maxwell Render, FinalRender, mental ray etc. for my submission?
A. As, long as you are developing your scene in 3ds Max 2012 or 3ds Max Design 2012 and is rendered with the built in mental ray rendering engine or another third party rendering engine that works inside 3ds Max, then yes.
Q. Can I model my scene in another application (like AutoCAD) and then import into 3ds Max?
A. Yes, however any modeling outside of of 3ds Max should be done with other Autodesk products like AutoCAD etc.
Q. Can I use plugins within 3ds Max to create my scene?
Q. Can I use commercial models to create my scene?
Q. Can we use post-production tools like Photoshop to edit the rendered image?
Q. Can I submit images I’ve done in the past to the competition?
A. Yes, as long as you have permission to use those images and you have integrated the 3ds Max logo into your scene and followed all of the other competition rules.
Q. What file format can I submit my competition entries?
A. All entries need to be submitted in a JPG format. If your design ideas require more than one image to showcase the concept, make sure to compose them into a single JPG image that is at least 3000 pixels on the smallest dimension.
Q. How many submissions can I enter into the competition?
A. No more than five.
Q. Can I use any version of 3ds Max or 3ds Max Design?
A. No, you must use 3ds Max 2012 or 3ds Max 2012 Design to compete in the competition. You can download a 30 day trial here or if you are a student download from the Autodesk Education Community.
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile