Deadline: 1 Februar 2012
Open to: university students of Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree programs, as well as students working on a diploma thesis or dissertation, in the academic fields of architecture, urbanism or regional planning, with proof of enrolment in one of the following semesters: Summer Semester 2010, Winter Semester 2010/11, Summer Semester 2011 and Winter Semester 2011/12. Professors and assistant professors are not eligible.
The Blue Award is a biennial, international student competition and awards projects addressing the topic of sustainability in the academic fields of architecture, regional planning and urbanism. The economical, cultural and social dimensions of sustainable development should be equal in significance to the classical problems of technique and function.
The competition is an open invitation to future-oriented and sustainable solutions. How will our built environment present itself in the coming years? Not a one-dimensional approach leads to results, but rather a comprehensive view of the tasks at hand is necessary in order to provide solutions and protect an environment worth experiencing.
The Blue Award 2012 is making its second appearance as an anonymous, international, single-phase competition, and is intended for students of architecture, regional planning and urbanism.
163 projects from 86 faculties and architecture schools spread across 49 countries were submitted for the first edition, Blue Award 09.
The Blue Award 2012 will be handed out in three categories.
The Blue Award 2012 will particularly emphasize and support architectural efforts in hot and dry climates. Projects located in crisis areas and in areas environmentally threatened will be given special consideration. This, however, forms no grounds for exclusion or discrimination of projects that deal with other topics in sustainability.
Participants can submit projects in the following three categories:
Category 1 – Urban Development and Transformation, Landscape Development
Category 2 – Ecological Building
Category 3 – Building in Existing Structures
Prize sum of 20,000.- Euros
The prize sum of 20,000.- Euros will be divided by the jury among the three categories of the competition. The jury may decide upon a number of honorable mentions.
In addition, independent of the categories, a special award will be handed out by the jury, chosen from among all entries.
International Jury Blue Award 2012
Honorary President of the Jury
Architect Sir Michael Hopkins
Arch. Albert Dubler
Member of the UIA, represented by its Vice President
Arch. Dominique Gauzin-Müller
Journalist of architecture and specialist for sustainability
Prof. Rudolf Scheuvens
Professor of Regional Planning, TU Vienna
Arch. Dominique Alba
Urban Planner and Director of Pavillon de l´Arsenal Paris
Arch. Nikos Fintikakis
Architect and Director UIA work program ARES
Presider and Moderator of Jury (not entitled to vote)
Dr. Robert Korab
No person from the organizational staff is to participate in the jury.
The preliminary evaluation is to be carried out by an assigned team of examiners.
The competition will be announced May 16, 2011.
Registration begins on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 and ends on Wednesday, February 1, 2012.
Submissions starts on Saturday, October 1, 2011 and ends on Wednesday, February 1, 2012.
All projects have to be submitted by post (analogue documents) and have to be uploaded in digital form (digital documents) on the homepage www.blueaward.at.
Submission of Digital Documents:
The time period for submitting projects in digital form begins on Saturday, October 1, 2011 and ends on Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 23.59 UTC.
Submission of Analogue Documents by post:
Projects will be accepted within the time beginning from Saturday, October 1, 2011 until exactly Wednesday noon, February 1, 2012.
Postal stamps or receipts will not be considered. Participants are responsible in ensuring that projects sent per carrier arrive by the deadline of Wednesday noon, February 1, 2012. This also applies to projects submitted in person.
In cooperation with the
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile