The Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art announces a call for entries for temporary art projects in public space under the common name Copula. Implementation time and duration of the project is 13-19 May 2013 in Rijeka, in the spatial proximity of the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in Rijeka, consisting of the following city streets: Dolac, Frana Kurelca, Erazma Barčića, Rudolfa Strohala, Hotel Bonavia stairs, Trg 139. brigade, all the way to the Mali salon gallery in Korzo 24 (Google map).
Application deadline: The call for entries closes on 9 December 2012, participants will be notified by the end of January 2013 via the Museum website www.mmsu.hr. The selected participants will be contacted personally via e-mail. Applications will be discussed by the five-member jury: Tomislav Brajnović, artist; Urša Jurman, curator; Ivana Meštrov, curator; Ksenija Orelj, curator; Sabina Salamon, curator.
Remarks for applicants:
- The right to participate extends to individuals or collectives from the Republic of Croatia and other countries.
- Both already existing and new works that can be displayed for the period of maximum 7 days are eligible for application. They are to be mailed to the following address: MMSU, Dolac 1/II, 51000 Rijeka, or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject header ‘SoftControl Competition’. Contact persons: Ivo Matulić,email@example.com, +385(0)51492621; and Sabina Salamon, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Not more than two works can be submitted for the competition.
- Applications without required documentation will not be considered by the jury and will be deemed incomplete.
- Competition application form is available HERE
- Selected artists transport the works at their own expense.
- Materials submitted alongside the application form (CD, DVD, photographs) are nor returned to the applicant. Please do not send originals.
- Fee per project amounts to 400,00 € (gross), while the maximum amount for the production of individual projects amounts to 930,00 € (gross).
- Travel expens
Remarks for foreign artists:
The call for entries envisages two residencies for foreign artists who wish to realise their projects in public space. Residences are available in the duration of maximum 20 days in two periods: 15 April to 5 May, and 5 may to 30 May. The application should be mailed to the following address: MMSU, Dolac 1/II, 51000 Rijeka, or by e-mail: email@example.com with a subject header ‘SoftControl Competition – artist-in-residence’.
APPLICATION FORM for Spajalica>Copula should contain:
- A filled application form
- A description enabling the jury an insight into the submitted work through appropriate documentation (sketch, photo, video etc).
- A technical description of the executed work with location and duration (how the work is mounted and dismounted and the list of technical equipment)
- A bill of costs for project realisation (with the included author’s fee and insurance fee, if needed)
Project description: Spajalica/Copula
Starting from the often mentioned detachment of the museum zone, displacement from the public space as a consequence of involvement in programmatic tasks of collecting and safekeeping, this project raises the question of the manner of reactivating the public space and the artist’s presence in it.
In the wake of the initiative for different regulation of social space and leisure time, this project is interested in contemporary art practices which disturb the status quo and underline concealed, transposed or neglected contents in urban environment, regardless of the approach or medium the artists use.
This call for entries is open for proposals which will mark the Museum’s presence in its neighbourhood, abandoning traditional commemorative approaches and permanent sculptural solutions, transforming ‘passive’ narratives into physical and symbolic presence, by concentrating on current social issues and relations or connecting with everyday life practice on the borderline between public and private, facts and fiction.
In the sense of media, the project supports performative and participatory works, urban interventions and outdoor installations whose audience – users or participants – cannot be predetermined. What is required: to explore approaches which use the public space to open and address the public which does not belong to the standard circuit of art events, but includes passers-by, neighbours, current visitors of streets and squares. By treating physical and symbolic distances between the artist / artwork and different ‘publics’, the possibility of instigating processes of social mutuality and connection is explored.
Desirable works question walls between individuals and institutions, relying on the model of copula, in terms of connecting utopian or practical scenarios of art and urban tissue. Basic guidelines of the project are achieving the presence of modern art in the public space and Museum’s communication with its urban surroundings, especially within the narrow neighbourhood it exists in.
CALL FOR ENTRIES FOR THE PROJECT Spajalica>Copula
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile