Deadline: 25 October 2011
Open to: international
Whether it’s a spontaneous dance with our families or a formal performance, we express ourselves through movement in every culture. Grab your camera, get creative, and capture a movement that celebrates your unique culture.
I. Contest Sponsors:
II. Platform Sponsor:
ExchangesConnect (Built on the Ning platform).
III. How to Enter:
Take an original still photo that reflects the theme of the contest, “Dance with Us: Motion Across Cultures,” and represents dance in your community or culture and submit it to the Contest using the method listed below (“Photo Submission”). Once a photo is uploaded to the Contest site, it is considered a final submission and may not be modified or edited, or replaced. Contestants may submit no more than two photos. Participation in this Contest is automatically deemed as acceptance of these Official Contest Rules. A Photo Submission must be an original photograph (digital or analog) taken by the submitter.
a. Photo Submission: After registering for the Contest Website (http://connect.state.gov), contestants can upload their Contest photographs. Photos must include a title, description, and tags for the phrase “dancewithus” and the name of the participant’s home country to be eligible. Contestants will also be required to complete a registration form to include their (i) Name, (ii) Country, (iii) Email Address, (iv) Number of Photos Submitted , (v) How they heard about the contest and (vi) Exchange program status (v and vi both optional).
b. Retouching of Photos: The submitted contest photograph cannot be significantly retouched: nothing in the photographs (people, animals, scenery, objects, etc.) may be altered, removed, augmented or rearranged. Cropping is permitted, as is modest darkening or lightening of parts of the image.
IV. Content Requirements
Photo Submissions must not contain obscenity, explicit sexual material, nudity, profanity, graphic violence, calls or incitement to violence, commercial solicitation or commercial promotion. Submissions also must not contain content or images that could be considered abusive, inflammatory, denigrating, or disrespectful to the Contest Sponsor, or to groups, individuals or institutions.
Photo Submissions must be original photos created by the Contestant and must not contain any elements that are protected by someone else’s copyright or otherwise subject to third party proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights (except as expressly permitted below). Submissions must adhere both in appearance and in fact to the norms of civil discourse. In other words, the content of all Photo Submissions must be suitable for a global, public audience. The Contest Sponsor and Platform Sponsor reserve the right to disqualify, at their sole and absolute discretion, any submission that does not adhere to these criteria, to the intent, or to the substance of these Official Contest Rules.
By submitting a photo to the Contest, the Contestant affirms that he or she has obtained written consent from all individuals whose image or likeness appears in the photo and further affirms that he or she is prepared to provide reliable documentation to that effect upon request (or from the individuals’ parent/legal guardian if any such individuals are considered a minor in their country of residence). The Contestant further affirms that he or she has obtained the necessary rights, licenses, consents and permissions to use all material in the photo. Failure to obtain such rights, license consents, and permissions may result in the disqualification of the Photo Submission at the Contest Sponsors’ sole and absolute discretion. The Contest Sponsor recognizes no allowance for “fair use” of copyrighted material. In the event of any question or difference of view regarding compliance with, interpretation, or application of these Content Requirements or other provisions of these Official Contest Rules, the Contest Sponsor reserves the exclusive right to resolve such questions or differences of view in their sole discretion.
1. Contestants must be at least 14 years old on the date of commencement of the Contest.
2. The Contest commences at 4 p.m. GMT (noon EDT) on September 13, 2011, and closes at 4 p.m. GMT (noon EDT) on October 25, 2011. The person submitting the photo will be considered the Contestant and will be the only person eligible to compete for the prize. In order to be eligible to win the prize, you must provide accurate and complete information.
3. The following individuals are not eligible to enter the Contest: Employees, directors and officers of: the Contest Sponsor, Platform sponsors, Participating Individuals and Organizations, the U.S. government, or contractors of the U.S. government; or distribution agencies, web design agencies, advertising agencies, fulfillment agencies, as well as judging and Contest agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment and execution of this Contest and the immediate family members (defined as spouse, recognized partner, parent, child, sibling and spouse or “step” of each) and those living in the same households of each such individual.
4. Submissions must follow technical format requirements of the Ning Platform – Submission should be in .jpg, .gif, or .png format and no larger than a ten (10) megapixel (mg) file size. The submission should be at least 72 dots per inch (dpi). Submissions should not have any visible any watermarks, signatures, or personally identifiable information.
Once a photo submission has been accepted for entry into the contest, the contestant’s name and country may be publically identified at the sole discretion of the Contest Sponsors.
VI. Selection of Winners:
All photos will be screened by the Contest Sponsor to ensure compliance with these Official Contest Rules and the ExchangesConnect and Ning Terms of Service. The Contest Sponsor reserves the right in their sole and absolute discretion to verify in the final analysis whether a potential finalist or potential winning Photo Submission has fully complied with these Official Contest Rules.
An independent jury comprised of Contest Sponsors and photography and dance experts will evaluate the submissions to choose one U.S. and one international grand prize winner and 18 finalists from the world’s six geographic regions as defined by the U.S. Department of State (Western Hemisphere, East Asia Pacific, Europe, Africa, Near East, South & Central Asia). The finalists will be announced and posted on the Contest site and Facebook page on November 17, 2011. Finalists may be publicly identified by name and country, at the sole discretion of the Contest Sponsors.
The criteria for judging are:
4. Photo Quality
Each finalist will be required to sign and return to the Contest Sponsors an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release and provide a short bio and brief statement about the photo; otherwise they will be ineligible to compete for the grand prize. The Contest Sponsor reserves the right, in their sole and absolute discretion, to verify that a potential finalist or winner is in full compliance with these Official Contest Rules before the Contestant is recognized as a finalist or winner, and before awarding any prize. The inability of Contest Sponsors to contact a potential finalist or winner may result in disqualification and/or selection of an alternate finalist or winner from among all remaining eligible submissions.
The two (2) final winners will receive the grand prize: an iPad 2 tablet computer, and the 18 runners-up will each receive an ExchangesConnect T-shirt and a set of postcards of the winning photos. Local winners from eligible countries participating in DanceMotion USA’s 2012 tour will be eligible to receive backstage passes to meet the dancers. The winners’ photos will be displayed at the U.S. Department of State and in various Contest Sponsor media channels. At each public display, a short bio of the winner may be included, along with a brief statement, in the winner’s own words, about the photo, including its meaning for that winner.
The winner must provide a valid mailing address where an additional prize, if any, is to be shipped. The Contest Sponsors are not responsible for any problems related to the shipping of any additional prize, including, but not limited to, theft, delay, damage, or destruction/accidental loss by the shipping carrier.
Any unused portion of the prize is not transferable, convertible, or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash. All taxes on or in connection with any prize, and the reporting consequences thereof, are the sole and exclusive responsibility of the winner.
Contest Sponsors are not liable in the event that any portion of the Contest is cancelled due to weather, fire, strike, acts of war or terrorism, or any other condition beyond their control.
VIII. Liabilities and Rights:
1. The Contest Sponsors and Platform Sponsor do not necessarily endorse any particular photo, messages, or advice expressed therein, and the Contest Sponsors expressly disclaim any and all liability in connection with the submitted photos, including disputes between collaborators related to a Photo Submission.
2. This Contest and its sponsors do not permit copyright infringing activities or infringement of any other intellectual property rights, and Contest Sponsors reserve the right to remove and disqualify any submission they deem to be in violation of another party’s copyright or other intellectual property rights.
3. The Contestant assumes sole responsibility for the photo and the material contained in it and also for the consequences of the posting on ExchangesConnect.
4. The Contest Sponsors reserve the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entries and of Contestants and to disqualify any Contestant or entry deemed not in compliance or any entry deemed not in accordance with these Official Contest Rules. The Contest Sponsors also reserve the right to request further documentation, at their sole and absolute discretion, to verify eligibility and compliance with these Official Contest Rules. If a prize or any portion thereof, is unavailable, the Contest Sponsors, in their sole discretion, reserve the right to substitute the prize with another prize of equal or greater value and/or specification.
5. If this Contest is interfered or tampered with in any way by a Contestant, or a person acting on the Contestant’s behalf, or, if, as a consequence of such interference, the Contest is not capable of being reasonably conducted in the manner anticipated by the Contest Sponsors, the Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion and to the fullest extent permitted by law to disqualify any interfering Contestant and/or modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Contest.
7. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including without limitation, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, the Contest Sponsors reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to cancel, modify or terminate the Contest.
8. Contest Sponsors reserve the right to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Contest, as appropriate, including due to any other reason beyond the control of the Contest Sponsors.
9. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Contest Sponsors and Platform Sponsor, their parent, subsidiary and other affiliated companies, officers, directors, employees and agents, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees) arising from: (i) your use of and access to the Ning and Contest websites in connection with the Contest; (ii) your violation of these Official Contest Rules or the ExchangesConnect or Ning Terms of Service; (iii) your violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, trademark, intellectual property, privacy, publicity or other proprietary right in connection with the Contest; or (iv) any claim that your Photo Submissions caused damage to a third party. This defense and indemnification obligation will survive indefinitely beyond the conclusion of the Contest and your use of the Contest and Ning websites.
10. The conduct, judging and awarding of prizes for the Contest will be carried out in full compliance with applicable U.S. laws.
11. Neither Contest Sponsors nor Platform Sponsor is liable for any disputes between collaborators related to a Photo Submission.
12. Contestants retain ownership of their photos. However, by submitting a photo to the Contest, Contestants grant Contest Sponsors, participating organizations, and Platform Partner, with proper attribution through whatever means they deem appropriate, a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, and/or display the Photo Submission, in any media formats and through any media channels in perpetuity in connection with the activities and operations of the Contest.
1. At their sole discretion, Contest Sponsors may contact Contestants to propose collaboration on additional projects.
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile