Deadline: 30 September 2011
Open to: Designers from all disciplines and/or businesses operating in Canada are eligible to submit entries. Project entries may be built or manufactured in other countries – as long as the design team is Canadian.
The Design Exchange Awards promote Canadian design excellence and recognizes the critical role of design in all types of organizations including commercial entities (large and small businesses), not-for-profit organizations, and the public sector. The Awards celebrate the success stories achieved through close partnerships between clients and designers. The DXAs are Canada’s only award program to judge design by results, balancing function, aesthetics, and economic success.
THESE AWARDS ARE DESIGNED TO
• Expand national understanding of design as an essential resource
• Demonstrate that investment in design impacts overall business success
• Celebrate effectiveness in all design disciplines
• Highlight the critical role of design in enhancing quality of life
• Reinforce the value of strong client/designer partnerships
• Promote the critical role of design in sustainability
A jury of leading business executives, designers and community leaders will select a Gold, Silver, Bronze and two Honourable Mentions in each of the thirteen categories.
Projects must have been completed between August 2009 and August 2011. Products must be in production.
You may want to address some or all of the following in your project description.
Performance of the design solution in relation to stated objectives and user needs.
Including positive financial returns, strengthening of corporate brand positioning, relationship building, cost reduction, enhancing employee satisfaction and/or improving operational efficiencies.
Alignment of all elements in the design solution for maximum physical, intellectual and emotional appeal.
Ability to apply new thinking, new methods and/or new technologies to address a specific challenge or opportunity. Ability to show added value to the profession.
5. ACCESSIBILITY AND SUSTAINABILITY
Design that makes daily life easier, safer, more comfortable and more affordable for everyone regardless of age, size, background or ability; surpasses code compliance to current legislation. Also minimal impact on the environment, reduces resources, minimizes waste, energy resource efficiency, surpasses conformance to current legislation and promotes knowledge & positive behaviours concerning environmental & social responsibilities.
You may submit as many entries as you wish in the categories outlined. However, you must complete a separate registration form and pay the registration fee for each entry. If a project falls into more than one applicable category, we encourage you to apply to the category best suited to your submission.
ARCHITECTURE – COMMERCIAL
Public and corporate structures
ARCHITECTURE – RESIDENTIAL
Building technology, chemical, civil, electrical and computer (including software), environmental, mechanical, product, structural, transportation, new materials
Textiles, footwear, jewelry and accessories, uniforms, outerwear, safety gear, etc.
Industrial products produced for industry and/or consumer products available to the public
INTERIOR DESIGN – COMMERCIAL
Retail, public and corporate interiors
INTERIOR DESIGN – RESIDENTIAL
INTERIOR DESIGN – TEMPORARY or PORTABLE
Set, theatre, exhibit, showrooms and model suites
Commercial, residential and public landscapes
Streetscapes, Infrastructure projects, master plans, Interventions
VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS – BRAND and IDENTITY*
Marketing, way-finding, packaging, corporate identity
VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS – DIGITAL*
Websites, information graphics, online ads, interfaces, kiosks, touch-screen devices, digital magazines, email newsletters, motion design – animations, film titles, typography on screen, interstitial sequences, identity packages, etc.
VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS – PRINT*
Brochures, annual reports, packaging, printed promotional items, posters, books, periodicals (magazines, newsletters, journals, etc.), letterhead systems
*Visual Communications categories co-presented with RGD Ontario
Special Platinum Award (by Nomination)
CANADIAN COMPANY OR CEO WITH THE BEST DESIGN STRATEGY
The CEO with the Best Design Strategy will be the leader of an organization that uses design and innovation as a major component of its business strategy.
• Winners will be featured in an exhibition catalogue which will be distributed to professional and cultural institutions.
• Winners are featured in press releases and in DXpress, the DX newsletter (reaching a readership of over 45,000) and will be featured in a spread in the DX program guide.
• Winners are celebrated by their peers in the Canadian design disciplines at a gala Awards Dinner – an invaluable networking opportunity for established and new designers alike. Winners are awarded a certificate and encouraged to use this prestigious standing in their marketing material.
• Winners can connect with members of the media and have their project noticed at the media launch of the DXA Exhibition.
• Winning entrants may have the opportunity to have their submission considered for accession into the Design Exchange’s Permanent Collection.
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile