Deadline: 12 September 2011, 18.00 hrs
Open to: Graduated no longer than five years ago? Fascinated by the breakthroughs of Life Sciences, and with a knack for applied arts and/or design? Then we want you to send in your CV, portfolio, and idea for a project that combines artistic merit with the vast developments in genomics research. The good news is that the first edition was so successful that The Netherlands Genomics Initiative, the Centre for Society and Genomics and Waag Society have decided to open up their second call for application to artists and designers from any country.
Always wanted to be at the forefront of riveting art that is trans-disciplinary and pushes the boundaries of technological and artistic possibilities? Then submit your application for the Designers and Artists 4 Genomics Award and take a chance on winning a € 25.000, – project!
The Designers & Artists 4 Genomics Award highlights and explores the exciting and novel possibilities between design, artistic practice and Life Sciences. Inaugurated by the Netherlands Genomics Initiative, the Centre for Society and Genomics, and Waag Society, the Designers & Artists 4 Genomics Award aims to stimulate emerging designers and artists to delve into the world of bio-art, and produce new work in close collaboration with the Netherlands most prestigious Genomics Centres, for example in the field of sustainability, food, health, bio-informatics, agriculture, and safety.
What do we offer?
After a closed-door pre-selection 20 artists/designers will be invited to pitch their idea and meet the Genomics Centres at a speed date. Following the latter, the Genomics Centres and artists/designers decide if there’s a mutual match to develop the idea for the Award further.
These sessions are scheduled on October 10th 2011. In case of a match, the teams of artist/designer and scientist develop the project idea further towards a proposal for the Award. The 3 winning proposals, selected by an expert jury, are allotted each € 25.000,-, and are exhibited in their realised form at Naturalis in Leiden, mid 2012 until for 6 months.
Please note: applicants from outside the Netherlands (not resident in the Netherlands) are accepted on the condition that they will be present – on their own expences – during all events that lead up to the Award and during the entire development period (December 2011 – May 2012) in case they belong to one of the winning projects.
Interested? Download the application form and conditions at www.da4ga.nl
Send applications before September 12th 2011 18.00 hrs to:
Please pay attention to the entry information and guidelines!
Designers & Artists 4 Genomics Award is an initiative of The Netherlands Genomics Initiative [http://www.genomics.nl], the Centre for Society and Genomics [http:www.society-genomics.nl] and Waag Society [www.waag.org], presented at NCB Naturalis [http://www.naturalis.nl].
The Netherlands Genomics Initiative (NGI) aims to ensure that society and economy benefit from the breakthroughs enabled by genomics in the fields of health, agro-food, sustainability, enabling technologies and society.
The Centre for Society and Genomics (CSG) studies and improves the relationship between genomics and society. CSG engages society by means of social research, interaction, dialogue and education. It strives to develop novel and effective methods of communicating scientific issues to the public as well as improving existing forms of communication and education about life sciences.
Waag Society develops creative technology for social innovation. The foundation researches, develops concepts, pilots and prototypes and acts as an intermediate between the arts, science and the media.
The participating Genomics Centres are:
Cancer Genomics Centre [http://www.cancergenomics.nl/]
Celiac Disease Consortium [http://www.celiac-disease-consortium.nl/]
Centre for Medical Systems Biology [http://www.cmsb.nl/]
Netherlands Consortium for Healthy Ageing [http://www.healthy-ageing.nl/]
VIRGO Consortium [http://www.virgo.nl/]
Centre for BioSystems Genomics [http://www.cbsg.nl/]
Nutrigenomics Consortium [http://www.nutrigenomicsconsortium.nl/]
Ecogenomics Consortium [http://www.ecogenomics.nl/]
Kluyver Centre for Genomics of Industrial Fermentation [http://www.kluyvercentre.nl/]
Netherlands Bioinformatics Centre [http://www.nbic.nl/]
Netherlands Consortium for Systems Biology [http://www.ncsb.nl]
Netherlands Metabolomics Centre [http://www.metabolomicscentre.nl/]
Netherlands Proteomics Centre [http://www.netherlandsproteomicscentre.nl/]
Forensic Genomics Consortium Netherlands [http://www.forensicgenomics.nl/]
Netherlands Toxicogenomics Centre [http://www.toxicogenomics.nl/]
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile