Deadline: January 9, 2012
Open to: Artists, photographers, professionals, amateurs, teachers, students – all ages – everyone can participate. You may submit more than one entry. National and international submissions are encouraged.
Artists are asked to submit their interpretation of the theme “Embracing Our Differences®” in the required formats detailed under “Creating Artwork.”
The mission of Embracing Our Differences® is to use art as a catalyst for creating awareness and promoting, throughout our community, the value of diversity, the benefits of inclusion and the significance of the active rejection of hatred and prejudice.
Embracing Our Differences® 2012, the 9th annual outdoor art exhibit, will contain 39 billboard-sized original works of art measuring 16 feet wide by 12.5 feet high (4.8768 m wide by 3.8100 m
high). Each selection is accompanied by an inspirational quote.
Eligibility: 39 artists will be selected for the exhibit which will contain 39 billboard-sized (16 feet wide by 12 1/2 feet high) images of the selected artworks. In the judges’ discretion, an additional six “honorable mention” selections may be made. Final selections will be chosen based on artistic excellence in reflection of the theme “Embracing Our Differences”. The art-work will also be evaluated on how effectively it will read outdoors when enlarged to billboard size 16 feet wide by 12 1/2 feet high. Artists are encouraged to use bold saturated colors and strong lines. No limit on the number of entries. The mission of Embracing Our Differences is to use art as a catalyst for creating awareness and promoting the value of diversity, the benefits of inclusion and the significance of the active rejection of hatred and prejudice.
Exhibit dates: April 1 – May 28, 2012
Fees: There is no submission fee.
Best In Show (Adult): A single $1,000.00 cash award will be presented to one submission deemed “Best In Show” (adult) by our Steering Committee. College students will be judged in this category.
Best In Show (Student): A $1,000.00 cash award will be presented to one submission deemed “Best In Show” (student) by our Steering Committee. Students high school-age and below will be judged in this category. This prize money will be awarded directly to the student’s school.
People’s Choice: A $1,000.00 cash award will be presented at the end of the exhibit to the submission that receives the most votes by visitors to the exhibit who complete our survey form.
Venue: Island Park Sarasota Bayfront
Juror: 3-judge panel of professional artists, curators and art professionals
Final selections will be chosen based on artistic excellence in reflection of the theme “Embracing Our Differences.®” The artwork will also be evaluated on how effectively it will read outdoors when enlarged to billboard size – 16 feet wide by 12.5 feet high (4.8768 m wide by 3.8100 m high). Artists are encouraged to use bold saturated colors and strong lines.
1. You MUST include a signed copy of this submission form. Each artist must sign the submission form. Teachers may sign on behalf of students. Additional submission forms are available online at: embracingourdifferences.org
2. By signing this form you acknowledge that: (a) your submission is original in conception and execution and is not a copy or reproduction of any other work and (b) Embracing Our Differences™ has your irrevocable permission without restriction, to use your work in reproduction for display, catalogs, posters, advertising, educational and merchandising/promotional materials for this event as well as other events and purposes as Embracing Our Differences may determine in its sole and absolute discretion.
3. Your original art may be any size and in any medium; however, you MUST submit a high-resolution digital file on a CD. Your digital file MUST measure exactly 12.8” (325.12 mm) wide by 8.8” (223.52 mm) high, and it MUST be saved at 300 d.p.i.
4. Art MUST be submitted on a CD, as a high-resolution JPG, TIF, EPS or PDF format, for both Mac & PC viewing. Artwork should be created or scanned at 300 D.P.I. Please print your name and artwork title clearly on the CD. See page 2 for details.
5. You MUST include a color print of your artwork (an ink jet proof is sufficient), with your name and artwork title clearly printed on the back. Please reduce the image to fit on 8.5” x 11” (or A4) paper for this print proof.
6. You MUST include a separate sheet of paper with your “Artist’s Statement” telling us, briefly, about your artwork, your creative process, or what the theme means to you. It is very important to include your name and the title of your artwork on this additional sheet.
7. Mail CD, signed form, statement & color print to: Embracing Our Differences. P.O. Box 2559, Sarasota, FL 34230-2559 U.S.A.
Since 2004, the Embracing Our Differences® exhibit has been viewed by more than 1,100,000 visitors. Our 2011 exhibit drew a record setting number of submissions from 2,601 artists and 1,529 quotation authors. Submissions were received from across Florida’s Suncoast as well as from 48 different countries and 29 different states. We also received student submissions from 55 different schools and approximately one-third of the art and quotations selected for display were submitted by Sarasota, Manatee and Charlotte County public and private school students.
Embracing Our Differences® also reaches out to Sarasota and Manatee County public and private teachers as well as school children, grades K-12, by providing free transportation for field trips and donating supplemental educational materials. We also produce workshops designed to assist teachers create a deeper awareness about diversity and how it enriches all of our lives. Since 2004, more than 85,000 students have benefited from our free educational programs.
Once again, we look forward to the 2012 exhibit and providing an opportunity for our community to reflect upon and deepen its awareness that embracing our differences, respecting the views of others and standing up against hatred and prejudice will lead to a better world for everyone. Respecting the beliefs of others is not only a way of thinking and feeling – but most importantly, of acting.
Coexistence, Inc. • P.O. Box 2559, Sarasota, FL 34230-2559 • Phone (941) 928-0567
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site: http://embracingourdifferences.org/
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile