The “Fifth Maier S. Coop. Design Competition”, organised by the company Maier S. Coop with the collaboration of the Mondragón Corporation, the Innovation and Financial Promotion Department of the Bizkaia Regional Government, the Department of Economy Development and Competitiveness of the Basque Government, andEIDE (the Basque Association of Industrial Designers), has become one of the most important design competitions in the automotive vehicle sector.
With its long, highly qualified list of participants, extensive media coverage, substantial prize money and a prestigious jury whose members belong to the design departments of the main European automotive vehicle construction manufacturers, the “Maier S. Coop. International Design Competition” has become an established leader in the Design Competition domain.
The Competition Organising Committee therefore encourages designers, engineers, students, amateurs and professionals alike, to take part in this year’s competition, presenting their creative and innovative design proposals.
1 – AIM OF THE COMPETITION
The products for vehicle interiors and exteriors on which participants should focus their Colour & Trim ideas are:
- Front Façade of the vehicle dashboard
- Door Grab Handle of the vehicle door panel
- Frontal Module of the vehicle
- Exterior Door Pillars
2 – SUBJECT
A new era in vehicle design is on the horizon and new decoration standards will be required, influenced by factors such as relevance, health and wellbeing, the “just enough” concept, functionality, authenticity, exclusivity, technology and craftsmanship.
- What makes a design relevant?
- Can vehicle decor have a positive influence on health?
- How can we generate wellbeing in stressful driving situations?
- Can the “just enough” concept generate exclusivity?
- Can any technology be adapted to vehicle decor?
- And what about craftsmanship as a source of new decor?
3 – PARTICIPANTS
Any individual or legal entity may take part in the competition.
For information purposes, persons or companies from the following areas may participate:
- Designers and design companies
- Students and universities
- Public or private design entities
- Research and development centres
- Automotive sector companies
4 – PARTICIPATION CONDITIONS AND RULES FOR PRESENTATION
Each participant may present a maximum of three projects, created individually or as a team.
The projects must comprise the following four deliverables:
The Trends Panel is the graphic expression of a Colour & Trim trends study which will show how the aesthetic finishes of the vehicle exterior and interior will be created.
The Trends Panel presentation format shall comprise at least one horizontal panel in JPG format, in DIN A-3 (4956×3505 pixels) size and a resolution of 300 dpi.
The Trends Panel must not contain any elements (name, initials, signature, etc) which identifies the author or authors.
The explanatory notes included in the Trends Panel should be drafted in English.
The “Download Area” on the web page www.maierdesign.es contains some examples of Trends Panel.
COLLECTIONS OF SAMPLE MATERIALS
The Collection of Sample Materials is the deliverable that shows how to create the Colour & Trim trends described in the Trends Panel with materials.
The format for presenting the Collection of Sample Materials is at least one DIN A3 horizontal panel to which the materials proposed by the participant are adhered or fixed. Participants are free to choose the shapes of the materials, although each material must be at least 4 cm in size.
The Collection of Sample Materials must not contain any elements (name, initials, signature, etc) which identifies the author or authors.
The explanatory notes included in the Collection of Sample Materials should be drafted in English.
The “Download Area” on the web page www.maierdesign.es contains some digitalised examples of Collection of Sample Materials.
FINISHES APPLIED TO AUTOMOTIVE COMPONENTS
Finishes Applied to Automotive Components is the deliverable that covers the four vehicle components (frontal module, mounts, grab bars and facade) decorated using the Colour & Trim trends shown in the Trends Panel and Collection of Sample Materials.
The Finishes Applied to Automotive Components presentation format must comprise at least five horizontal panels in JPG format, in DIN A-3 (4956×3505 pixels) size and a resolution of 300 dpi.
The Finishes Applied to Automotive Components shall not contain any elements (name, initials, signature, etc) which identifies the author or authors.
The explanatory notes included in the Finishes Applied to Automotive Components should be drafted in English.
The vehicle images and components to be decorated by participants are available in the “Download Area” of the webpage www.maierdesign.es.
The Abstract is the deliverable containing the explanations required to enable understanding of the Trends Panel, Collection of Sample Materials and Finishes Applied to Automotive Components deliverables.
This deliverable must include:
- Participant(s) name and surnames
- Contact telephone number
- Email address
- Profession (if the participant is a student, give details of course attended)
- State how you learned about the competition (mailing, press, web page, others)
- Required manufacturing technologies to obtain the proposed Finishes (only for professional participants)
The Abstract shall be presented on no more than 15 lines, in Microsoft Work format and in Arial 10 format.
The Abstract must be drafted in one of the following languages:
5 – PRESENTATION OF PROJECTS
The Trends Panel, Collection of Sample Materials and Finishes Applied to Automotive Components and Abstract should be recorded on a CD-Rom:
Both the CD-Rom and the Collection of Sample Materials deliverable should be sent by courier, cash on delivery, in the following manner:
- For deliveries from within Spain, use the NACEX courier. Participants should tell the courier company that the delivery charges will be payable by account holder 4912/173 (Maier Technology Centre S. Coop).
- For deliveries from outside Spain, use the DHL courier. Participants should tell the courier company that the delivery charges will be payable by account holder 960247116 (Maier Technology Centre S. Coop).
Deliveries must be addressed as follows:
Maier Technology Centre S. Coop.
Polígono Industrial Arabieta s/n
48320 Ajangiz (Bizkaia)
To the attention of Ibon Miranda
Once the Competition Organising Committee receives the delivery, it will send the participant confirmation by email to the address provided for the purpose.
6 – DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING PROJECTS
The deadline for submitting projects will be 25 April 2013.
Entries submitted to the competition will not be returned, neither shall any correspondence or information of any type about such projects be returned.
7 – GUARANTEES TO BE PROVIDED BY PARTICIPANTS
Participants in this competition certify and guarantee the following to Maier S. Coop:
- That the Project is original and has not been entered for any other competition or in any other forum, in either verbal or written form.
- That the participant is the sole and exclusive author of the Project (in the case of the Project having been created by more than one person or by a company, they are to certify and guarantee that they are the sole and exclusive authors), and that the Project does not infringe the rights of any third parties, directly or indirectly.
- That at the date on which the Project is entered for the competition, they are the sole legitimate owner of the Project’s industrial and intellectual property rights (in the case of the Project having been created by more than one person or by a company, they are to certify that they are the sole and exclusive owners).
- If the participant is a natural person, they must guarantee that the Project has not been created within the framework of a work activity or services provided for a third party.
8 – JURY
The Jury will be made up of representatives from Design Centres, Automotive Companies, Public Institutions and Automotive Sector Designers.
The Jury will be responsible for selecting the prize winners.
The Jury may be aided by a technical committee appointed by the organisers, who will check and select the proposals that comply with the requirements indicated in these competition rules.
The Jury’s evaluation criteria will be basically as follows:
- Innovation of the design proposals
- Quality of the deliverables
- Feasibility in the automotive sector
The final composition of the Jury will be notified before the project presentation deadline.
The winners will be notified in May 2013 by e-mail sent to the address provided by the participant.
9 – PRIZES
There are three prizes:
- Prize for Professional Designers: Award and 8,000 euros
- Prize for Students: Award and 4,000 euros
- Prize for the best Collection of Samples: Award and 3,000 euros
If the Jury should consider that none of the projects presented suitably fulfils the conditions for receiving an award, the prizes may be declared void.
The awards are indivisible.
The Jury’s decisions are final.
10 – PRIZE-GIVING CEREMONY
The prizes will be awarded in September 2013 at the facilities of the AIC Automotive Intelligence Center in Amorebieta – Biscay (Spain).
Any participant unable to attend the prize-giving ceremony is required to send the competition organising committee a video recording during which they will make a brief product presentation.
11 – INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
The participants grant Maier S. Coop. authorisation to publish, communicate, present or disseminate the projects entered in the competition, verbally or in written or graphic form, with the project author always being mentioned.
12 – FURTHER INFORMATION
If you should require any further information, please apply to:
The participants’ personal data will be processed by Maier S. Coop. in accordance with Organic Law 15/1999, of 13 December, concerning Personal Data Protection, for the sole purposes of this competition.
14 – APPLICABLE LAW
This competition is subject to Spanish law.
15 – SETTLEMENT OF DISPUTES
If any dispute should arise between the participant and Maier S. Coop with regard to the competition or to what is set out in these Rules, the Courts and Tribunals of Bilbao, Biscayne (Spain) will be entitled to settle the same:
16 – ACCEPTANCE OF THE RULES
Participation in this competition implies the total acceptance of these rules.
17 – COMMUNICATIONS
The official source of information is the webpage www.maierdesign.es and all communication, modifications and news regarding the Competition shall be published thereon.
18 – OTHERS
We recommend you watch the videos available on the internet to obtain more information Colour & Trim design in the automotive sector:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=854JPDexPn0&feature=related
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile