The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA) is one of Chicago’s major museum institutions and one of the nation’s largest facilities devoted to the art of our time, offering exhibitions, performances, and programs of the most thought-provoking art created since 1945. Considered one of the premiere curatorial training opportunities in the nation, the MCA’s Marjorie Susman Curatorial Fellowship is intended to offer an exceptional graduate-level candidate the opportunity to gain professional curatorial experience in a major museum setting. The application deadline is January 31, 2013.
The Fellow is primarily responsible for exhibition- and/or collection-related research, with additional duties as appropriate to specific projects. As a 12-month commitment, the Fellow is exposed to all aspects of curatorial operations and participates in internal and external communications on a daily basis. With a start date of July 1, 2013, the full-time fellowship carries a stipend of $25,000 plus selected benefits.
The MCA considers exceptional candidates in art history, museum studies, and related fields with a strong emphasis on art historical research and methodology. Qualified applicants must possess an M.A. degree or be in their final year of graduate work. The MCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The application deadline is January 31, 2013.
There are no application forms. Please note that application materials, including writing samples and any supplementary materials, will not be returned to candidates. All application materials should be typed and include the following:
- Cover letter with name, home and school addresses, and telephone numbers of the applicant.
- A full resume of education and employment history.
- Two letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional settings.
- An essay describing the applicant’s interest in the internship program, museum work, and reasons for applying.
- Two writing samples.
- Application materials should be sent to:
Marjorie Susman Curatorial Fellowship
Museum of Contemporary Art
220 East Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60611
Please note: International candidates must be in possession of a valid US work visa for the entire fellowship period.
After reviewing all applications, a group of candidates are selected for either an in-person interview or telephone interview. Final notification to all applicants will be mailed by the end of April.
The MCA Chicago Curatorial Department reviews applications. Final selection of the Marjorie Susman Curatorial Fellow is determined in consultation with the Susman family and curatorial staff.
The Marjorie Susman Curatorial Fellowship was established by members of the Susman family in honor of Marjorie Susman.
If you have any questions about applying for a fellowship, please email email@example.com.
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile