Deadline: 30 September 2011
Open to: anyone worldwide who is at least 18 years of age as of the date of entry.
Olympus America Inc. is in the eighth year of sponsoring a dynamic international photo competition that honors the world’s most extraordinary microscope images of life science subjects.
The Olympus BioScapes Digital Imaging Competition recognizes outstanding images of life science specimens captured through light microscopes, using any magnification, any illumination technique and any brand of equipment. Pseudo-colored and other computer-enhanced images are acceptable, as long as image manipulation is done to bring out specific information in the image.
Each person entering can submit up to five movies, images, or image sequences (such as time lapse series). Entries must include information on the importance or “story” behind the images. Winners are notified in late October and are announced publicly in November.
One first prize winner will earn Winner’s choice of Olympus microscope or camera equipment valued at $5,000 (US list at time of awards) and an expense paid trip for two to the awards reception in December, including transportation, accommodations at a local hotel and admission to the awards celebration event.
Nine additional winners will also receive valuable prizes from Olympus, and many more will receive recognition as honorable mentions.
Selected winning images also become part of a traveling exhibit tour of museums and academic institutions.
Images that have earned any award, honorable mention, recognition or prize in any other commercially-sponsored competition are not eligible, but images that have earned academic recognition or been published in journals remain eligible for the BioScapes competition.
“Microscope images forge an extraordinary bond between science and art,” said Osamu Joji, Olympus America’s Vice President and General Manager for the Scientific Equipment Group. “We founded this competition to focus on the fascinating stories coming out of today’s life science research laboratories. The thousands of images that people have shared with the competition over the years reflect some of the most exciting work going on in research today – work that can help shed light on the living universe and ultimately save lives. We look at BioScapes and these beautiful images as sources of education and inspiration to us and the world.”
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:http://www.olympusbioscapes.com/
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile