Deadline: 5 December 2011
Open to: international, for artists working in any medium, to professional artists and to students (17+)
Exhibition 28 April – 27 June 2012 Exhibition Opening 6-8pm,
Saturday 28 April 2012. Prizewinners announced at 7pm.
1st Prize £1500 + solo exhibition
1st Student Prize £750 + solo exhibition
1st prize winners will each be offered a solo exhibition at Oriel Davies Gallery in 2013 as well as receiving their cash prize.
People’s Choice Prize £250
Awarded to the most popular works, or collection of works, in Oriel Open 2012 as voted by the viewing public during the exhibition period. Oriel Davies is seeking submissions from artists working in any medium. This includes: performance, time-based, sound, digital, installation, painting, sculpture, print, photography and moving image. The exhibition will show at Oriel Davies Gallery from 28 April – 27 June 2012. There is no geographical restriction and entry is open both to professional artists and to students (17+) currently training in visual art.
All entries must arrive at the Gallery by Monday 5 December 2011.
Ben Borthwick Chief Executive and Artistic Director, Artes Mundi www.artesmundi.org
Ann Jones Curator, Arts Council Collection, Southbank Centre www.artscouncilcollection.org.uk
Sally Tallant Head of Programmes, Serpentine Gallery www.serpentinegallery.org
Emma Posey Curator, Oriel Davies Gallery www.orieldavies.org
The selectors are looking for the very best in a wide range of media and approaches across national and international contemporary art practice today.
– Three submitted works
– A signed Entry Form
– An Artist’s Statement
– SAE (if you entered by post and wish and require your disc to be returned)
– Entry Fee payment
If you have any questions concerning entry, ring 01686 625041 or email: email@example.com
Conditions of entry
Selection Process Works for the exhibition will be selected from the images submitted. Oriel Davies cannot guarantee that any individual work or artist will be selected for exhibition. The selectors’ decision is final and Oriel Davies will not enter into discussions regarding acceptance.
Notification of outcome Artists whose work is selected for inclusion will be notified on or before the 15 February 2012. Unsuccessful applications will be notified by email on or before 30 February.
There is a non-refundable entry fee of £15 for 1 entry, £20 for 2 entries and £25 for 3 entries. (£10, £15 and £20 concessions for students and unemployed).
How to Enter Send the following with ‘Oriel Davies Open 2012’ clearly marked on the submission to: Oriel Open 2012, Oriel Davies Gallery, The Park, Newtown, Powys, Wales, UK SY16 2NZ:
1. No more that three digitized still or moving images of new or recent works (made within the last year). These must be supplied on a disc (DVD, CD) – if applying by post – and saved as jpg files at a minimum 72dpi and maximum 300dpi. Please do not supply images as tiff files.
For moving images, please provide related still images and a preview of no more that three minutes in length (per film). Artist’s full name must be marked on the disc as well as the cover. No actual works will be accepted for submission. We will only return submitted discs in exceptional circumstances. If you need your disc returned please enclose an SAE.
2. Completed Entry Form with a list of titles, media, sizes etc. Entries can also be accepted by email. Email your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org attaching images as jpg files @ 72dpi together with an artist’s statement and the E-Entry Word Document which can be downloaded at www.orieldavies/open2012
3. An artist’s statement of a maximum of 100 words describing your working practice and submitted entries.
4. Stamped addressed envelope for return of discs, if required.
5. Correct entry fee for submission. See ‘Entry Fee’ and ‘Payment Methods’ section. Payment Methods Cheques: Make cheques payable to ‘Oriel Davies Gallery’, and write ‘Payment Reference’ on back of cheque. Credit/Debit Cards: Ring Gallery Reception on 01686 625041 to pay over the telephone giving ‘Payment Reference’. BACS: Payment details: Account name ‘Oriel Davies Gallery’, Sort Code 40-34-33,
Account number 51484494 stating ‘Payment Reference’. International Bank Transfer: IBAN number GB17MIDL40343351484494, branch identifier code: MIDLGB2113N plus ‘Payment Reference’. Payment must be made in sterling. Oriel Davies will not accept other currencies.
‘Payment Reference’: All payment methods given above must clearly reference ‘Open’, followed by your full name. eg. ‘openjohnwilliamsmith’
Please note that entries for which payment has not been received will not be considered in the selection.
If your work is selected
Transportation and Insurance Artists are responsible for thetransport arrangements of their works. Costs incurred in couriering works to and from the Gallery cannot be met by the Gallery. Artists should insure their work while in transit both ways ensuring that it is adequately packed. Oriel Davies Gallery will cover insurance while work is in its care only. The selling price will be used as the insurance value. As any insurance claim will be subject to an excess of £250, artists are advised to cover the excess amount with their own insurance. The Gallery reserves the right not to display work that has been damaged in transit.
Labelling Accepted art works must be clearly labelled showing name and address of the artist, title of the work, medium, date, and selling price. The information should match the entry form.
Hanging The Curator and Selectors will not enter into discussions regarding installation and hanging. Sale of Work The Gallery will take a commission of 35% inclusive of VAT from the selling price. Oriel Davies will not enter into dealings with third parties such as commercial galleries or artists’ representatives.
Delivery and collection of work Artists are required to deliver their works to the Gallery between 10am and 5pm between 30 March and 14 April 2012. Exhibited work must be collected from Oriel Davies between 10am and 5pm on Saturday 30 June, Monday 2 and Tuesday 3 July or alternative pre-paid arrangements must be made for works to be returned by post. We regret we cannot hold on to uncollected works after 12 July 2012.
Availability of work All works submitted must be available for the duration of the exhibition and cannot be taken from display until after the exhibition closes. Oriel Davies reserves the right to show video and/or DVD work screened or projected as part of a dedicated programme.
The copyright of each work remains with the entrant. By signing this entry form, artists give permission for their work to be photographed for publicity purposes and to give permission for images of the work in the exhibition to be published. There will be no catalogue of the exhibition. A full list with images of the work in the exhibition on the Gallery’s website.
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile