Deadline: 21 October 2011
PAVE the Way, a 3D Design Challenge is an exciting opportunity available for students internationally to showcase their work at a major industry event, GlobalShop 2012. College students who are enrolled in accredited store design, interior design, visual merchandising, and industrial design programs are invited to design a 3D floor fixture for this competition, which is sponsored and presented by B&N Industries.
Finalists will then work with B&N Industries to produce a prototype of their design for display at GlobalShop 2012. GlobalShop 2012 will be held in Las Vegas, Feb. 29-March 2, 2012, at the Sands Expo & Convention Center.
Design, develop, and construct a branded store fixture, that is, when utilized, no larger than a 36-inch x 36-inch square footprint and 84 inches high. This fixture is to provide a makeover station for a SPECIFIC EXISTING BRAND OF COSMETICS. The fixture should communicate the chosen brand. You may choose any brand of cosmetics found in department stores or branded retail stores. Your design solution should be concise and constructed with care and professionalism.
The fixture must be able to morph from a compact, protected unit when stored into a fully functional makeover station when in use. We encourage you to design a creative solution for the functionality when utilized and the structure when stored.
Most of all, have fun and put on your 3D thinking cap. Remember, the winning designs will actually be produced, at full size, so even if your idea is completely fun, which we encourage, it must also function.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS Entries due by Friday, Oct. 21, 2011
Eligibility: The competition is open to college students internationally enrolled in accredited store design, interior design, visual merchandising, and industrial design programs. Projects can be the work of an individual student, or a team consisting of no more than two students.
Entries should be submitted in pdf format to PAVE by Friday, Oct. 21, 2011.
• The entry pdf should be named as follows: First Name, Last Name, Project Name.
• While your entry is not limited to a specific number of pages, the project must be submitted via the electronic submission form with the disclaimer accepted, in the following order:
1. cover/title/project name page
2. written concept statement
3. conceptual sketches
4. four to six images 3D images of the fixture
5. working drawings
6. material samples with description
7. include your name, school, and email as the last page of the entry
Please do not use Sephora as the retail store. Any other locations would be appropriate. The design concept should be unique and not an element used in another competition. No entries from the 2011 PAVE Student Design Competition will be considered for this 3D challenge.
Before entering, please read our frequently asked questions.
JUDGING AND AWARDS
A panel of industry professionals (retailers, designers, manufacturers, etc.) will select designs in late October. The top fixtures will be selected and finalists will be contacted by mid-November 2011. Prototypes of the winning entries will be produced by B&N Industries to be displayed at GlobalShop 2012 in Las Vegas, Feb. 29-March 2, 2012. All finalists will have their designs displayed. Winners will be determined from the finalists displayed at GlobalShop, and the awards will be presented at the A.R.E. Design Awards in Las Vegas on Feb. 29, 2012. (Finalists need not be present to win.) Photographs of the winning entries will be posted on the PAVE and B&N Industries websites. To see images of past winning entries, visit www.paveinfo.org.
First Place: $5,000
Second Place: $2,500
Third Place: $1,500
Honorable Mentions (up to 9): $500 each
About B&N Industries
B&N Industries is an innovative designer and manufacturer of products and systems for the retail, architectural, and consumer industries. The company focuses on fresh, fun, and functional approaches to solutions that enhance environments. With the launch of Iconic™Carved Relief Panels, B&N has secured a new way of providing new technologies and design options for the contract, retail, and hospitality industry. From the ever-popular Puck™ hardware System, to the tension Cable™ System, the Sorbetti™ Freestanding Pole System, and the new Graphic Cubes and Quadri™ Frame Systems for display, B&N offers variety and creativity to merchandising, display, shelving, and contract needs. With over 80,000 square feet of local manufacturing with advanced CNC technology, the ability to source manufacturing throughout the world, and over 90,0000 square feet of warehousing, B&N can accommodate virtually any size of project rollout and distribution. B&N continually works to provide new solutions to the ever-changing interiors markets and to bring a fresh outlook to the industry.For more information about B&N Industries, please visit www.bnind.com. For more information about B&N Industries, visit www.bnind.com.
GlobalShop is the largest annual trade show of its kind, attracting leaders in the retail design industry from all over the world. Retailers, store designers, visual merchandisers, and brand managers attend GlobalShop each year to find inspiration and the latest trends in retail design, in-store marketing, and technology. For more information about GlobalShop, visit www.globalshop.org.
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile