Application deadline: December 31st 2011
The Singapore-ETH Center for Global Environmental Sustainability offers 1 PhD position in Landscape and Environmental Planning.
The position is offered within the context of the international joint project Future Cities Laboratory (FCL), which the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH Zurich) and the National University of Singapore (NUS) will run conjointly for the next 4 years. In particular, the position will be part of the pilot interdisciplinary module entitled “Landscape and Ecology”, which will run under the Research Stream Urban Design Strategies and Resources of the ETH Zurich FCL in Singapore. The research module deals with the interface between advanced landscape design, modeling and simulation and urban hydrology, watershed modeling and hydrological ecosystem services.
The case study is located along the Ciliwung River Catchment in the urban periphery of Jakarta in Java, Indonesia.
The PhD project will focus on assessing the value of hydrological ecosystem services of selected reaches of the Ciliwung River under natural and designed river landscapes in the periphery of Jakarta. Based on eco-hydraulic model outputs and three-dimensional representation of the landscape, the PhD will set-up a suitable participative approach for valuing the ecological, economical, and social services provided under the different scenarios and investigate different institutional arrangements for securing the provision of the most required services in the long term including spatial planning and payment for ecosystem services.
Accordingly, the successful candidate working at the interface of the Landscape and Ecology
Module and the FCL Simulation Platform, will need to have a good academic education
(Master) in environmental sciences (quantitative), a strong background in economy and social empirical research, and an understanding in political sciences. Additional basic knowledge about landscape and ecological design is also to be expected. Experience with GIS and handling multivariable datasets and software combinations is certainly an asset. The successful applicant will be highly motivated for scientific research, have specific interest in the topic and appropriate background, have personal initiative, be comfortable with both team and independent work, and have good organizational Skills. Very good spoken and written command of the English language are required.
The position is presently open for all potential candidates with an application deadline set for December 31st 2011.
Each candidate will be asked to submit an electronic application in the form of two pdf files to the application address indicated below. The first pdf will include a motivation letter, CV, Masters or diploma certificates and academic transcripts, the second pdf file will be a copy of the Masters thesis or diploma project. In addition two confidential letters of recommendation, also as pdf files, have to be submitted to directly to the application address.
The selected candidate will be enrolled as ETH Zurich/FCL PhD student, but the research will be based in Singapore throughout the doctoral period.
The research team working on the “Landscape and Ecology” module will be coached jointly by a Senior Researcher and a Post Doctoral researcher with proven knowledge of the relevant research fields. The PhD student will join a vibrant research team in Singapore, working on complex interdisciplinary project at the interface of landscape and ecology and computer simulation. Interviews for the position will be held either in Singapore or Zürich.
The position will start on 01.03.2012 or flexibly thereafter.
Additional information about the position may be obtained by writing to Prof. Adrienne Grêt-Regamey: email@example.com
Address for electronic submission: firstname.lastname@example.org (maximum attachments 10 MB)
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site: http://www.futurecities.ethz.ch/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/sec-fcl-m7-landscape-and-Environmental-Planning-PhD.pdf
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile