Deadline: 3o November 2011
Eligibility: If you are a student of a college or university and you are 18 years of age or older, the solidThinking Design Competition is an opportunity to express your creativity, use advanced 3D technologies, be evaluated by global design thought leaders and win great prizes. Enter now to win!
The solidThinking Design Competition will award the best design concepts developed using solidThinking 8.5 and/or solidThinking 8.5 Inspired.
Creativity, originality, efficiency, feasibility and presentation effectiveness are some of the key design qualities – facilitated by solidThinking and solidThinking Inspired – that the Competition intends to reward.
The Competition has no category restriction. Design something that solves a problem. Any type of product design can be submitted, including but without being limited to the following categories: consumer goods, electronics, furniture, jewelry/fashion, medical, packaging, toys.
The Competition will begin on March 30, 2011
Deadline for submissions is November 30, 2011
Who can enter
The solidThinking Design Competition is open to Students of Colleges and Universities only from every country in the world who are 18 years of age or older. Employees, contractors, agents and immediate family members of Altair Engineering, Inc. and its subsidiaries are not permitted to enter the Competition.
Participation is on individual basis only.
Registration is free and applicants must accept the Competition conditions.
Each applicant student will receive a license of solidThinking Inspired expiring on November 30, 2011 with related documentation. Participants can register for a free “Introduction to solidThinking” on line webinar.
How to enter
All entries must be modeled and rendered entirely with solidThinking or solidThinking Inspired.
Each applicant can enter more than once.
All entries will be accepted through November 30, 2011 (11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time).
Entries must be original works of entrants. Use of any material owned by a third party is not accepted. Designs that have been commercialized or published/exhibited before the competition cannot be accepted.
Entries should be kept confidential and cannot be sent to other competitions until the results of the Competition are published.
By participating in this Competition, entrants agree to grant solidThinking, Inc. a royalty-free license to publish and exhibit all the designs created by competitors at exhibitions and events and in any printed or on-line publications that may deemed suitable and/or necessary and the right to publicize the names of the winners.
A detailed concept of the design with rendered images from various view angles including the description and reasoning behind the design must be submitted using the submission form.
Images must be in JPEG format with a minimum resolution of 640×480.
Selected projects will be notified by email and authors will be requested to send the .st (solidThinking native format) file in order to prove that the models and the images were created entirely with solidThinking.
Intellectual property and permission to publish
Entrants will retain ownership of their Entry, including all intellectual property rights which may exist in the Entry. However, by submitting an Entry, entrants grant solidThinking, Inc. the unconditional and perpetual right, license and consent to reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, and exhibit the Entry in any media throughout the world, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from entrants or any other party.
How it is judged
Submissions will be judged by an international panel of high profile professional designers, academics and journalists.
Judging criteria will include:
- Aesthetic qualities and form innovation (40%)
Is the design unique and innovative?
Is the form adapted to the intended function?
- Function innovation and feasibility (40%)
Does the design fulfill a need? Does it solve a problem?
Is the design efficient and the use of material optimized?
Is the design in line with manufacturing techniques?
- Presentation techniques (20%)
Is the design easy to understand through the images?
Do the rendering techniques used enhance the presentation effectiveness?
All entries will be considered for the final prizes:
US$ 5,000.00 Cash
+ solidThinking Inspired 8.5 commercial license
US$ 3,000.00 Cash
+ solidThinking Inspired 8.5 commercial license
US$ 2,000.00 Cash
+ solidThinking 8.5 commercial license
All entries publishedon the solidthinking.com web site will receive a 24-month solidThinking Inspired educational license.
Email inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please write in the subject line : Design Competition 2011
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile