Deadline: 15 December 2011
Open to: individual designers, design studios, in-house design departments, individual design students and student groups. The design competition is international in nature, and open to representatives of any design discipline.
The Faces of Design Awards 2012
Launched in 2009, the Faces of Design Awards programme was created to help connect designers and industry.
We felt the need for a new competition format, as we are constantly stunned by the quality of design talent out there – and even more so by how many amazing designers do not get the recognition they deserve. To address this issue, and to raise the visibility of great design talents worldwide, we created the Faces of Design Awards series.
All competitions organised within the Faces of Design Awards programme are so-called non-spec competitions, explicitly not asking for new work to be created for the competitions. The Awards are entirely focused on a designer’s or design studio’s existing projects, aiming to become a showcase of the diversity of talent in the world of design.
The winners of the Faces of Design Awards are widely promoted with press and industry, offering individual designers an opportunity to stand out from the crowd and become introduced to an outstanding network of leading thinkers and key decision makers in the world of design.
The Faces of Design Awards are an unbeatable opportunity for any designer or studio.
This design competition is based on your existing portfolio, and culminates in the publication of a printed volume, showcasing the 25 most promising design talents, by design discipline (e.g. graphic, interior or fashion design). This collection of profiles is distributed to over 1.500 key decision makers at more than 400 companies, design institutions, and the design press.
On top of this, the three candidates with the most panel votes overall receive extra promotion, including special press features and personal introductions to key individuals within the industry – so far and amongst others, our winners have been introduced to the likes of Vitra, Kvadrat and Fritz Hansen.
In the first round of the Faces of Design Awards, you present the best elements of your portfolio to the judges in a safe online environment, followed by a second round with our high-profile panel.
The winners of the Faces of Design Awards will then have their profiles published and distributed to opinion leaders and key decision makers in design worldwide.
To promote emerging talents in particular, there is a special discount to encourage student participation in the competition, and participation grants to support design talent from emerging countries.
If you are a member of the press, or a representant of a manufacturer, gallery or design association, and you would like to receive a copy of the winners’ publication, please simply drop us a note at email@example.com!
The Faces of Design Awards are open to individual designers, design studios, in-house design departments, individual design students and student groups. The design competition is international in nature, and open to representatives of any design discipline.
Submissions to the design competition are judged by an international panel of renowned judges including:
1. Pio Barone Lumaga, Editor-in-Chief of LOFT The Nordic BOOKazine, Stockholm
2. Nacho Carbonell, Designer and `Designer of the Future`, Eindhoven
3. Paul Haigh, HAIGH+ Architects, New York
4. Hugo Eccles, Creative Director, hugoeccles®designoffice, London & New York
Submission Deadline: December 15th, 2011
Early bird registration: October 1st, 2011, to October 31st, 2011
Shortlisted candidates will receive the invitation to participate in Round 2 of the competition on December 19th, and need to submit their entries for Round 2 by January 15th, 2011. Winners will be informed in the week commencing January 30th, 2011.
The winners of the Faces of Design Awards will then have their profiles published and distributed to opinion leaders and key decision makers in design worldwide in May 2012.
Entry fees are:
• Regular participants: €75 (early bird discount) / €120 (standard)
• Students: €50 (early bird discount) / €75 (standard)
Please note that student entries will be clearly marked as such for presentation to the Panel, and in all subsequent communications, including the printed volume of Award winners.
Please note that there are no follow-up costs!
Please also note that a limited number of special grants is available to promising designers from developing regions of the world, and to those otherwise unable to afford participation in the design competition. Please click here for further information about how to apply for a grant.
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile