Registration deadline: 5 November 2011
Open to: professionals, students, and design-enthusiasts from any country in the world.
C A L L – F O R – E N T R I E S
designboom, in collaboration with LA VACHE QUI RIT, are organizing an international graphic design competition.
participation is open to to professionals, students, and design-enthusiasts from any country in the world.
free registration required.
LA VACHE QUI RIT (the laughing cow) turns 90 this year!
founded in 1921, the french cheese producer known for their popular spreadable, wedge cheese, distributes its products to more than 120 countries. this year marks the 90th anniversary of this iconic brand.
01 – the subject of the international competition is a
THE LAUGHING COW’S 90th ANNIVERSARY
to celebrate the occasion, LA VACHE QUI RIT asks participants to design and submit a powerful image
promoting the brand, to be edited as silkscreen posters, t-shirts, bags.
designers are free to reinvent the brand’s visual identity with references to contemporary culture.
02 – awards
the designer of the winning entry will be awarded a cash prize of € 1500 euro.
the designer of the second place entry will be awarded a cash prize of € 1000 euro.
the designer of the third place entry will be awarded a cash prize of € 500 euro.
and as always, designboom will publish an exhaustive results report.
on the occasion of its 90th anniversary, La Vache Qui Rit (The Laughing Cow) launches a collection of images to be edited on t-shirts, bags and posters. the first ten images of this collection focuses on contemporary graphics that will be selected and provided by the 3 winners of the internet competition organized by designboom, alongside seven internationally renowned artists commissioned to produce one image each.
— poster (110 cm x 80 cm) printed on velin d’arches paper (edition of 3, numbered and signed):
all profits from the sale of the limited edition posters, benefit the Bel Foundation for the Nutrition and Schooling of underprivileged children all over the world.
— t-shirt (limited edition of 50) to be presented and sold in a paris concept store
— bag (limited edition of 50) to be presented and sold in a paris concept store
* the authors of the designs will receive royalties on their design
03 – jury
Jean Charles de castelbajac, fashion designer
Olivier Briois, head of merchandising for the group bel
Label Dalbin : contemporary creation
04 – design criteria
it is important that you keep your design(s) confidential until the results of the competition are published.
we want to be surprised by your artistic submissions.
key-words for the competition are: playful, cheeky, pop and contemporary
you are asked to design and submit a powerful image that will act as a promotional tool for the brand.
you are welcome to use iconic elements associated with the brand.
(the triangle, the circle, the colors blue and red, the silver of aluminum foil, the red tab, the outline of the cow’s head, the initials LVQR …)
your design may not use the non-anniversary logo or any existing imagery currently used to communicate their products.
your image must have a white background and use no more than TWO additional colors (e.g. red and blue on white background, blue and silver on white background…)
if you wish to incorporate existing logos or elements in your design, you may download files here
05 – registration deadline
application registration will be accepted through november 05th, 2011.
06 – registration
registrations are open now, please fill in the form.
teams register with one name only.
– when submitting works you should add all team member’s names.
07 – submit your entry / entries
multiple submissions are allowed (up to 3 different designs per participant).
if you are entering more than one work, please submit each work separately.
you will be requested to supply:
1. up to 6 files for uploading to designboom
images or a composition of more images of your project.
image size: 818 pixels wide.
to upload your images please note:
use only .gif, .jpeg, (72 dpi) max 150 kb each file, RGB color mode.
the entry submitted should be a low-res version of your original work.
the original high-resolution image(s), vector art originals
will be requested only if your work is shortlisted.
2. explanation of ideas
a brief description of your design.
(english text only, explanation is expected to be very concise)
3. you will be requested to accept the competition guidelines
competition guidelines: projects participating in the competition, must be original works. all entries must be original designs and not use any stock images or clip art. projects must be free from copyrights and any kind of obligation. the design shall not in any way infringe any third party’s right, including but not limited to copyright, logos, trademark, trade names, or other proprietary rights of publicity or privacy. only entries with a declaration of authorship are accepted! (when submitting your design you will be asked to tick a box of declaration)
08 – deadline for submission of entries
works can be submitted through november 05th, 2011.
09 – announcement of the results
results will be announced on november 15th, 2011
the jury’s selection is final and is not debatable.
10 – intellectual property rights
any moral and paternity right regarding the project sent in for submission is the designer’s property.
by submitting a design in the competition, the participant agrees to provide LA VACHE QUI RIT with the right of first refusal to the exclusive use of the design.
this option is valid for 6 months after the competition ends.
in the event that LA VACHE QUI RIT exercises the option to use the rights for production on an exclusive basis and sine die (without time limitations), LA VACHE QUI RIT undertakes to pay a royalty of annual sales to the designer.
by participating in the competition, all participants authorize DESIGNBOOM and LA VACHE QUI RIT to publish and exhibit all the designs (including project data submitted) – waiving compensation – at exhibitions and events and/or to use them in any publications, communications or promotions that the organisers may deem suitable and/or necessary. in any cases designboom and LA VACHE QUI RIT will credit the designer’s name to properly attribute authorship of work to promote the author adequately.
LA VACHE QUI RIT will have the right to apply minor change amendments without damaging the integrity of the artwork – e.g. add the LA VACHE QUI RIT logo and text, reframing, translation, changing colors, cutting the background or parts of it, etc…
12 – questions?
inquiries to email@example.com
make sure to write THE LAUGHING COW in the subject line.
13 – info on LA VACHE QUI RIT
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile