The concept of G.A.S-station is a research project on the development and exploitation of artistic and scientific aspects and also a platform to develop and test new forms of art presentation, mediation and publication. The projects we initiate annually are designed on specific topics as well as cross-divisional.
About 280 international artist out of painting, graphics, photography, music, literature, dance, installation, video- and objectarts, design as well as scientifics and writers, lectures, readings, accompanying texts, publications have been contributed to the international and topic centered exhibition – projects like:
- eMOTION (2008-2009),
- CHAOS (2009-2010),
- Das DING/THING (2010-2011)
- Keine Z E I T/No TIME. Timephenomena. Phenomena of time. (2011-2012)
- NOTHING. Nothing is more beautiful! (2012-2013)
G.A.S-stations invites to the next upcoming sixth international, interdisciplinary and topic centered exhibition – project:
The Perfectness and th Defect. / Die Perfektheit und das Fehler.
The striving for perfection is generally viewed in a positive light. Yet what is perfectness? Is it the attainment of complete congruence between the mental concept of an ideal and its actual implementation? In the discipline of mathematics, perfectness is attainable – e.g. in the requirement of conformity between a set and its derivative. Yet can there also be “perfectness” in any other sense? Which ideal conceptions are concealed behind different kinds of perfectionsim? Does the urge for perfection – and for the avoidance of mistakes associated with it – also have an effect on society and the human psyche that needs to be critically examined?
The mind is unswerving in its search for mistakes: in texts, recited language, images, actions etc. Mistakes attract attention and at the same time fascinate, so that an erroneous expression can force its way to the fore, attracting more attention than the actual meaning and content. On the other hand, a small perturbation, or an apparently insignificant defect can determine the development of a whole system, or even cause its collapse. Yet is there also an illustrative or creative potential in defects?
We are looking for works to the following topics:
- What is Perfectness? The desire for perfection – reflections on concepts, utopias and ideas relating to ideal systems and the perfect being.
- The Defect – Creator or Destroyer? The creative potential of the defect in relation to destruction in nature, science and art. The phenomenon of the ‘mistake’ as an attractor of our attention.
- Between Perfection and a Fear of Error. Effects on society and psyche – socio-critical or analytical and topic-oriented work.
The focus of the G.A.S-station project the Perfectness and th Defect is the juxtaposition of different medial and formal approaches. Therefore, we welcome artistic contributions of all sorts – filmlets, installations, plastic & fine arts, performances, literature, music as well as scientific contributions, presentations, lectures or accompanying texts concerning the subject.
(please send in the two filled out pdf-submittal form (via mail as hard copy) and (via e-mail) word doc otherwise we can not accept your application)
Closing date: April 12th 2013
Duration of the exhibition probably from october 2013 until february 2014.
This will be our sixth interdisciplinary exposition. If you’re interested in the exhibition project, be it as contributing artist or in another form of cooperation, please contact us. Please don’t forget to attach a brief summary of your work or a draft of your idea.
We’re looking forward to receiving your suggestions and proposals!
Elisa Asenbaum&Thomas Maximilian Stuck
Vienna: Elisa ASENBAUM, Fon: 0043 1 533 56 77
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile