The Soap Factory exhibits work in its galleries throughout the year. Group exhibitions curated from submissions could have as many as 8 artists. The Soap Factory is housed in a 120-year old industrial warehouse near the banks of the Mississippi River in Minneapolis. We have no climate control, air conditioning or permanent heating system; please bear this in mind when submitting your work. Projects by individual artists that propose to use the entire 12,000 sq feet of gallery space are always encouraged. Postmark deadline is April 30, 2013.
We are particularly interested in proposals conceived specifically for The Soap Factory galleries. Our programming is unique in that we select only a small proportion of the artists we exhibit from our pool of submissions. We commonly receive 300 artist submissions per season.
Examples of artists shown by The Soap Factory from submissions: Nadine Anderson, Matt Bakkom, Nina Lola Bachhuber, Ernest Arthur Bryant III, David Bartley, Ian Burns, Santiago Cucullu,E-Team, Omer Fast, Harrell Fletcher, Isa Gagarin, Michael Gaughan, Amber Ginsburg, Jay Heikes, Alexa Horochowski, Margaret Kilgallen, Chris Lawrence,Keith Lemley, Rita MacDonald, Joseph Madrigal, Rodney McMillian, Clive Murphy,Wil Natzel, Kelly Nipper, Carl Pope Jr, David Rathman, Patrick Scully, Slinko, Xavier Tavera, Bruce Tapola, Traci Tullius.
Submission Guidelines for 2014 season:
- Postmark deadline is April 30, 2013.
- We do NOT accept e-mailed submissions.
- Submissions are reviewed for exhibition in the 2014 season.
- Artists selected for the 2014 season will be notified in summer of 2013.
- We may keep your submission on file for up to 8 months.
- Please, do not call or email to check on your submission.
- The Soap Factory does not return work. Please only send materials that you do not need to be returned.
What to send:
A cover page indicating the following information:
- Medium of submission
- Up to ten color images of your work on disc. Digital images must be Mac compatible (jPeg, tif, pdf) not less than 1500×2100 pixels.
- Each submitted image MUST ALSO BE PRINTED IN HARD COPY. Submissions that do not include hard copy images WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
- Resume, artist statement and project description/ proposal.
- We prefer that you submit any video on DVD. DVD must be in Zone 1 format (readable in USA).
- Work samples WILL NOT BE RETURNED
- The Soap Factory is committed to diversity in audience, staff and programming. To assist us in achieving our diversity goals, please indicate your ethnicity or cultural background. Note that responses to this query are not a factor in showing at The Soap Factory, but a measurement of how well we are promoting our submission process to diverse communities.
- All application materials must be submitted in English
The Soap Factory provides full installation support for all selected projects, including travel and accommodation, as well as a stipend to artists. We provide publicity, exhibition invitations, mailings, opening reception and artist talks. We do not provide insurance coverage for work exhibited at The Soap Factory. All work is shown at the artist’s own risk.
Spanish translation available:
Pautas generales de entrega están disponibles en español. Por favor envié un email a email@example.com para solicitar una copia. Escriba “Submissions Spanish Translation” en la línea titular.
Materials in alternative format available upon request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mail submissions to:
The Soap Factory
514 2nd St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile