Deadline: 2 December 2011
Eligibility: We encourage entries from all over the world. There are no requirements for residency, nationality, age, or educational background for submitting to the Wearable Art Awards.
The Wearable Art Awards is not a fashion show, it is a multi-media performance where the human body becomes a living, breathing, moving canvas. We are looking for more than a “pretty dress.” We are asking you to go deep into your imagination to create a wearable piece of art that challenges what most consider to be wearable, or everyday fashion.
The Wearable Art Awards is committed to challenging artists of all mediums to push their imaginations to create evocative, imaginative and thought provoking sculpture for the human body.
Entry fee: $25 for first entry, $40 for 2 entries, $50 for 3 entries
An entry must fall into one of the following three form-based categories. Cash prizes will be presented to category winners as determined by the jury.
– Complete Outfit
Port Moody Arts Centre reserves the right to cancel categories at any point during the judging process. Port Moody Arts Centre reserves the right to move entries between categories if it is felt the entry is better suited to a category other than that for which it was originally submitted.
All entries will be juried based on the following criteria:
– Complete entry forms, images and fees received by deadline;
– All entries must be wearable, and able to withstand being put on and off our models multiple times for photo shoots, fittings and performances;
– Entry must not have been previously exhibited in the Tri-Cities area (Port Moody, Coquitlam, and Port Coquitlam);
– Entries must be suitable for viewers of all ages;
– Creativity and originality;
– Design and the use of multiple elements and techniques;
– Quality of workmanship and construction;
– Overall presentation; and,
– Conceptual meaning and impact.
During the performance, entries will be judged on this criteria, weighted in favour of overall impression and conceptual message.
$5,000 in prize money will be awarded. Amount and number of prizes within categories will be dependent on the number of entries received and subject to the jury’s discretion. Maximum amount of a single prize to be awarded will be $500.
In addition to competing for a category win, entries will also be eligible for the following cash prize awards as determined by the jury:
Presented by the Port Moody Arts Centre Society, the Wearable Art Awards competition has been encouraging local, Canadian and international artists of all mediums to submit evocative, imaginative, and thought provoking creations for the human body since 2002. Accepted works are juried in a two-step process by a panel of jurors drawn from the fashion and textile industry.
To begin, each piece is examined for its creativity, originality, skill in construction and conceptual idea.The final jurying takes place at the performance presentation during which the works are modeled to a live audience and their “wow” factor and presence on the red carpet is evaluated.
The performance is followed up by a five-week long exhibition at the end of which a “People’s Choice” award is presented based on votes from the public. In total $5,000 is distributed between winners of 10 category and special awards.
Complete rules and application form may be downloaded from the web site:
- Global Cultural Fellows (Edinburgh)
- OPEN CALL ATHENS
- The MASK Prize
- Chronus Art Center Research and Creation Fellowship
- The Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship 2017
- European Short Pitch 2017
- Torino Film Lab 2017 – FeatureLab 360
- Artist Protection Fund
- Outdoor emerging artists competition
- Expert(s) in Residence
- Camargo Core Program
- Grants for the Arts
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Residency Program
- Budapest Art Residency
- 9th Budapest Architecture Film Days
- Works on Paper 2016 annual competition
- Antarctic Biennale – Calls is an international competition
- M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme
- V4@Theatre Residency for young theatre critics from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Belorussia and Slovakia
- Scholarship programs for Ukrainian and Moldavian theatre makers
- PACT Zollverein residency program
- SQUEEZE IT CONTEST 2016
- Artist in residence – scholarship in Künstlerdorf Schöppingen Foundation
- Privilege and the Displaced, Artist Residency
- Gerald Kraak Award and Anthology
- 12th International Design Contest Triestecontemporanea 2016
- Young Package 2016
- STARTS Prize 2016
- Springback Academy: Open Call for Dance Writers
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship program 2016/2017
- International Fashion Academy scholarship 2016
- Henry Moore Institute Visiting Research Fellowships
- Call for circus and street arts artist
- 22nd Onassis Fellowhips Program For International Scholars 2016-2017
- Call for collaborative media art – Helsinki 2016
- IZOLYATSIA Residency Program
- The Next Step Challenge grants
- Triangle’s Residency Program 2016/2017
- Culture Of Permanence – Call for partipation for thematic residency
- PACT Zollverein rezidencies
- Sapporo Tenjinyama art studio residence program
- 2016 Georgia Fee Residency
- Open Call Artist in Residence in Kaunas/Lithuania 2016
- Rome International School – Scholarship Fund Programme
- Iver Jåks Artist-In-Residency Program
- Taboo Open call
- ‘Poor Media’ – Open Call Creation 2016 – Werktank & KU Leuven
- Ellen Stewart International Award
- Open Call for Create Syria: A project to empower Syrian art in exile